Monday, July 21

10 Secrets to Great Teaching (Part 1)

PART 1
In part 1, I explore 4 (of 10) secrets to great teaching, or ingredients to become a great teacher. What are the ingredients of a great teacher? Well, when I complete the 2-part series you will at least know my standpoint on this issue. My findings is basically based on what I have observed, read, experienced and learned over the last few years in Higher Education.

Yes, you are certainly free to agree or disagree with all my ideas and thoughts about great teaching. What really matters, is not being right or wrong, but taking this wonderful opportunity to be part of a messy global conversation (in audio format) about this issue.

Here, enjoy part 1 (not sure about that!), and hopefully part 2 will be out sometime next week:


ZAIDLEARN EXPLORES AUDIO & VIDEO
This is probably the first time most of you hear me speak. I have to admit that I speak much faster normally (I tried hard to slow down, and probably sounded a bit too slow this time around.). Also, I did not use any script, as I wanted it to be as natural as possible.

I used PowerPoint to create the slides, and interestingly (exploring!) used Adobe Presenter to record the audio (Recommendation: For audio recording, use Audacity, which is easy-to-use and has more features). Finally, I used Windows Movie Maker (first time using!) to integrate the PNG converted PowerPoint slides, and the audio (MP3) files from the published Adobe Presenter presentation. Although, Windows Movie Maker is quite limited in terms of features, I actually enjoyed using it.

To explore uploading possibilities, I uploaded my 10-minute presentation to YouTube, TeacherTube and Google Video. The Google Video output is not good, but the YouTube and TeacherTube outputs are alright. I suppose I will explore slidecasting on SlideShare later, after I have completed part 2.

SELF-EVALUATION
My voice is a disaster and the PowerPoint slides need a face lift! Yes, perhaps I should include more music (to spice it up!), pictures, and flower it with a bit more animations. A video showing me babbling would be interesting, too (not really!).

Though, I really enjoyed exploring my voice, and hopefully I will create many more videos (learning nuggets of 10 minutes or less) sharing my ideas, thoughts and reflections about learning in the near future. Hopefully, someone out there will be listening and joining the conversation.

I suppose it is about time that ZaidLearn speaks out, besides rambling this and that with written words only.

I AM STILL LEARNING, and hopefully I will evolve. In the meantime, please be patient as I learn how to talk (on the Tube) :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Zaid, I just love your enthusiasm and curiosity and your commitment to sharing your learning with all of us who have somehow found you ... in this big world... and are keeping an ear out for what you have to share next.

Your ebook is PRECIOUS! Bravo! So is this slide show! More, more!

Your passion shows through all the cracks in your learning... and that's a beautiful thing to behold.

I hope someday to meet you in person and plant an affectionate kiss on your cheek to thank you for your pure generosity!

ZaidLearn said...

Hi Meri Aaron Walker,

Thanks for your inspiring feedback :)

Also, I explored your excellent blog (http://www.mawstoolbox.com/)

I can learn a lot from you :)

Thanks again and perhaps one day we will meet, and have a great discussion on how we can inspire more educators to open up and explore the possibilities we have today to facilitate amazing online and offline learning environments.

Have a great day learning :)

Warm Regards,

Zaid