Wednesday, August 6

69 Learning Adventures in 6 Galaxies (My First eBook)

"69 Learning Adventures in 6 Galaxies"

At the beginning of 2007, I sat down to have a discussion with myself about what I wanted to achieve (working and academic wise) by the end of 2008. By the end of this self-reflective discussion I had managed to draft two hedgehog goals to achieve. The first hedgehog goal was to write a book about learning (by July 2008), and the second one was to start my PhD adventure (by December 2008).

As I was approaching July 2007, I realized that my book and PhD aspirations were getting nowhere. So, to get the ball rolling I started to blog about learning (ZaidLearn) on July 18th, 2007. Since then (until August 6th, 2008) I have posted exactly 300 articles or learning nuggets on the blog. The first 128 learning nuggets were imported from my past (failed) learning adventures (including an e-Learning Community Portal). In other words, since I started last year I have posted 172 new learning nuggets. The length of each learning nugget has varied from a whopping 5000 words to a few hundred.

Then a couple of weeks ago (July 22nd, 2008), I realized that perhaps it was time to revive at least one of my hedgehog goals for 2008. Although, I had not been writing a book consciously, I had been blogging for one year about learning. After re-exploring my blog I thought, “Let’s redefine my primitive perception of what a book should look like, and create a book (or ebook) out of my posted learning nuggets.” First, I decided to include all my new learning nuggets (172), but then I realized that the book would evolve into a 500-page monster. Oh man, I used to have a writing phobia when I was a kid, and today I even feel sick if I haven’t written something interesting for a day. What a turnaround!

After a lot of filtering, I have settled for 69 learning nuggets posted on ZaidLearn, which I believe readers might find useful to their own learning. To make it a bit more convenient to find what you are looking for, I have divided the book into six learning galaxies (or themes), which are:
  • Learning
  • Teaching
  • Stories
  • Free e-Learning Tools
  • Free Learning Content
  • Free EduGames




Read this document on Scribd: 69 Learning Adventures in 6 Galaxies

4 comments:

Carlos said...

... one thing that I didn´t say before to you in my blog: Thank you very much for this book!!!
I like it very much.
(When I finish it, I will give you a more critical comment... ;)

Anonymous said...

I've referred Zaid's blog to lot of people. I love the index of "free stuff." Now with the new e-book it makes the resources even easier to find. Nice job Zaid.

--Bryan Chapman
Chief Learning Strategist
Chapman Alliance

José Paulo Santos said...

Brilliant ebook! This compilation is a wonderful resource for educators and learners. I'll recomment it to people.
Thank you, Zaid!

Sergey said...

Uahuuu, I didn't know about it!!!
vteitn46