Friday, July 24

Join the Nano Open Online Courses (NOOCs) Adventure!



“The minute I dropped out I could stop taking the required classes that didn’t interest me, and begin DROPPING IN on the ones that looked interesting.” 
– Steve Jobs

DOCUMENTATION

Important articles/presentations conceptualizing the NOOC (Nano Open Online Courses):


NOOC

Nano Open Online Courses (NOOCs) will empower learners to explore, learn and be assessed (certified) on the essentials of one competency, skill or area of knowledge at a time within 20 learning hours or less. Each NOOC can be facilitated by one or more facilitators, depending upon one’s preferences and ability.

Originally, this adventure was code-named N-MOOCs, but  Dave Cormier suggested  NOOCs recently. His suggested M-delete swoosh is priceless. Thanks for that!





CLICK HERE for more details about the NOOC adventure (Organically evolving BLUEPRINT).


WHY NOOC?

Looking back at my personal MOOC experiences since 2008, I realize that I have yet to be inspired to complete a single one. I have probably tasted hundreds of MOOCs over the years, but none have interested me enough to swoosh through, do the assignments/quizzes, and achieve the certificate.

For me, the main reason is that when I register for a particular MOOC, I am usually only interested to really explore in-depth around 5-10% of it. The most I have explored in a MOOC is around 80% without doing the assignments. I could go on, but let's explore why NOOCing is more appealing to people like myself.
  • LEARNERS
    Instead of having to do the whole course, I can now focus on the juice (I want), get assessed, and be certified (or Badged) on it. Yes, a NOOC is more granular, chunked, digestible, meaningful (evidence) and juicy! Awesome!
  • FACILITATORS
    I want to facilitate a MOOC, but where I am going to find the time, manpower or resources to do it? NOOCit instead! You only need to sacrifice one week for NOOCing, and perhaps 1-2 weeks preparing for it (as you should already be an expert in what you want to NOOC). Also, since 'M' for Massive is ditched, you don't have to have that pressure that it must achieve MassiveHOOD! Massive or Small, I am cool. Say no more!
  • LEARNING DESIGN
    Designing a course for credit hours (2,3,4, etc.) is like writing a book that must be 200, 300, or 400 words no matter what, according to a fixed requirement. NOOC reverse this to focus on what really matters, and then filter out the non-essentials. Its not stuck with a fixed learning experience formula, which basically forces course designers often to integrate additional non-essential learning resources and activities to fulfill the credit hour requirements. The NOOC way to design learning experiences provide a more flexible course design model (can range within 20 learning hours or less). Think of designing a NOOC, like building something with LEGO. Better yet, one can always combine the LEGO pieces to fulfill 1,2,3 or 4 Credit Hours (if that is still the future standard). Albert Einstein’s quote below, defines the mindset for developing a NOOC:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."  - Albert Einstein

Click Here to read more details about this in the organic evolving NOOC blueprint. 


JOIN US! 



CLICK HERE to join us, as we evolve the NOOC formula. We are still learning and exploring. If everything goes as planned the NOOC adventure will be officially launched by the International Medical University (IMU) and Learning Innovation Circle (LIC) on the 28 September (2015)

Why not beat us to it! Better yet, join us to discover cool NOOC formulas that inspire us to learn and get credit for it. Whether a MOOC or a NOOC, you still need some learning magic to make it work :)

No comments: